And if you've never faced the inconvenience of having to eventually grow up, you could probably still believe that such things apply to you as well.
But for the rest of us, I would like to present 10 Reasons Why People Who Smoke Could Be Classified As Being Out Of Their Minds.
1) Tobacco use kills 5.4 million people a year - an average of one person every six seconds - and accounts for one in ten deaths worldwide.
2) Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer death among both men and women in the United States, with 90 percent of lung cancer deaths among men and approximately 80 percent of lung cancer deaths among women attributed to smoking.
3) Ambergris, otherwise known as whale vomit, is one of the hundreds of additives used in manufactured cigarettes.
4) Hydrogen cyanide, a toxic byproduct present in cigarette smoke, was used as a genocidal chemical agent during World War II.
5) Radioactive lead and polonium are both present in cigarette smoke.
6) Smoking also increases the risk of many other types of cancer, including cancers of the throat, mouth, pancreas, kidney, bladder, and cervix.
7) Secondhand smoke contains more than 50 cancer-causing chemical compounds, 11 of which are known to be Group 1 carcinogens..
8) Worldwide, approximately 10 million cigarettes are purchased a minute, 15 billion are sold each day, and upwards of five trillion are produced and used on an annual basis. So much for smoking being a sign of one's individuality.
9) Five trillion cigarette filters weigh approximately 2 billion pounds. And it is estimated that trillions of filters, filled with toxic chemicals from tobacco smoke, make their way into our environment as discarded waste each year.
10) 100 million deaths were caused by tobacco in the 2oth century. And if certain trends hold, tobacco use is expected to claim one billion lives this century.
See you at the City Council meeting tonight!