Thursday, November 29, 2012

Tony Brandenburg: Come Back Wayne Lusvardi, the New School Needs Your Wisdom

"Just us?"
1. Out with the Old, In with the New.
When I was younger I received a handwritten letter (remember those?) from Warsaw, Poland. The young man described to me how he and his friends would find inspiration in my band’s music, how they had smuggled it into their country, and about how they copied and distributed it to their friends. He told me that it was an integral part of their resistance to the occupation. The Polish resistance and punk rock music were interwoven, and bands would smuggle their master tapes out of Poland with touring bands (most notably the legendary Canadian punk band DOA) in order to have the messages get past the censors. These tapes would  be released as records in the west by fans and supporters. To even record an album, Polish punk rock bands would need to first provide the lyrics for government inspection, and then the master tapes would be beeped (censored) if anything appeared on them that was considered offensive by the censor.

Bands from the west would travel on archaic roads to clubs to play if they could get through, often for little money, a meal or two, and gasoline which was rationed, thus it was collected and stored in jars by fans and promoters to help the bands get back. The drummer of the legendary German band The Spermbirds (yes, that is what they are called) confirmed this with me, and shared a few stories about how the Stasi (East German State Security) would infiltrate the shows in East Berlin. Although the incognito Stasi were often known and recognized by the East German punks as such, some of the Stasi were clearly being won over by the music. “It was a strange time,” he told me. “We knew change was coming.”

Until gentrification came to Berlin, and it has- continually for some 60 + odd years, I was proud to have seen a stretch of the Berlin Wall shout proudly “Who is Who?” in a splash of yellow on cyan- painted by a fan who found in one of my songs, a parallel to his (her?) world. I don’t doubt that the upgraded and improved coats of slop they threw on top of that mural may have had the blessing of the new government, but it is the message below that new coat that tells the story of the real battle for freedom and resistance that took place.

*************
2. Just because it’s Anonymous, Doesn’t Mean it’s Without Value.
Dear Brandenburgs:
One of the best articles I've ever read on how City of Pasadena and PUSD really work was written almost three years ago but I found it to be such a good explanation that I kept the link for reference. Because you seem to be looking for a key to all of this you might find it interesting:
(click here) - Anonymous  (November 23, 2012 2:17 PM)

*************
3. Old School Vs. New School; a Hybrid Fueled by Complementary Ideas.
On the advice of a Tattler, I entered the Sub Rosa. A thing of the past, a snapshot frozen in time, silent except for the imprint, a Trilobyte, waiting to be placed back into the dwindling water supply to be reborn. I recall reading a couple of the articles I saw as I scrolled through the archives, though , admittedly I am now armed with a rudimentary knowledge that I lacked back then.

I accept that I am a novice, an accidental activist - dragged into a battle I neither asked for, nor shied away from. It was because of the bullies, the elite - some of whom, through tireless research by Mary and I - pointed us first in the direction of the Sierra Madre PTA earth mamas, to their husbands- sheriffs, city attorneys, executives, and then, ultimately, toward a PUSD superintendent, upper cabinet, and  finally, a board member. We studied, we asked, we were called fools, we persevered, and we learned. We learned names, faces, and dates, organized timelines, outlines, and rat catching lines.

It has been an interesting trip, sprinkled with acronyms like ACT, and PEF, IIPK, and BOE. It was all thanks to a couple of persistent posters who followed us around on the internet, harassing and attempting to humiliate and belittle us - not unlike the way that their co-conspirators followed our seven-year old son around at school and harassed him, actually - and, because of their big mouths and bravado, shined the light that guided us to locate almost every document and item that we were able to find. What resulted was a conclusion that demonstrated how a group of Queen Bee Elitist Earth Mamas and Limpotent Drone Papas somehow convinced the PUSD to disregard the law and the civil rights of a child. My child.

In the various circles that I run in I am referred to as “old school” - mostly by the kids in the punk rock subculture. This is a venerable title, one that acknowledges my impact on local music and alternative cultural history, and it is used as a title of respect. The survivors of my generation are rightly known as “miracles”  and the support for bands like mine - holdovers from the late seventies and early eighties - is flattering and surreal.

I share this because, here, in this blogging arena, I am what the kids would refer to as new school. Though I am clearly on the correct path,  I am still searching for my voice, and I am still finding my footing. It doesn’t mean that I lack strong beliefs and opinions, nor does it explain my peculiar and unusual (none dare say unique and individualistic) worldview - but it certainly supports my inquisitive nature, my sardonic humor, my gaffs, and the likelihood that I will stumble, fall, and disappoint some people along the way.

*************
4. Where to now, St. Peter?
So. On your advice, Anonymous 2:17 Tattler, I will examine a couple of Sub Rosa posts, and let me see if I can bring them into 2012, and test their validity within the context of my blurred and hyper-focused multi-faceted mindset. I want to get a grip on it, on the core, and see if I can put a new school spin on an old school post or two, and, I don’t know, maybe along the way I’ll drop a few names and determine how their faux-progressive groups intersected, and sometimes interfered, with my life. I also want to thank you for guiding me to that post.

On reading Sub Rosa, I realize that no matter how much things seem to change, things pretty much stay the same. Same players, same “ideals,” and the same money trail. I bring this up because the January, 2010 Sub Rosa blog post was smack dab in the time of Pasadena’s stepping into a brave new tomorrow, one designed for long term investments, big time money, designed and executed by the ruling oligarchy. Wayne Lusvardi, you were spot on. I won’t even attempt to paraphrase.

“In Pasadena it has historically been the Pasadena Education Foundation (PEF), a semi-public non-profit entity that is a shadow school board, through which funds from government and private grants are passed to the schools. But the monies procured by the PEF are typically first laundered through yet another layer of nonprofit consultants and agencies who are political pets of the establishment. This is oligarchy - government for the few and the well-connected with only symbolic benefit to the public.

On paper the PEF is set up as a way to augment the funding of the Pasadena Unified School District and circumvent state restrictions on local school funding. In reality, the PEF is legalized corruption. It holds closed meetings and is unaccountable to the public. It alone has the discretion to award funding for pet projects and consultants.”

Here we are, three years later, and I have unknowingly stepped over Michillinda Blvd. and stepped right into it (click here). You know what? It still smells funny. All the players from then are still here, and the world as laid out by somebody someplace still favors the elite, still promises the poor some magical kingdom at the end of the metro line, and still cuts the breaks to the rich fat cats. If any wisdom can be found in Petey’s Tale of Two Cities (Click Here) it is this: the promise of a better shake for the poor is nowhere to be seen in the Pasadena Renaissance and in fact, the housing as it stood back in 2010 seemed to benefit the well-off and the builders.

Unlike old Petey, however, I believe that the builders will continue to screw the poor while continuing to receive tax breaks and favoritism. They will continue to buy those favors through  politicians who depend on labor/union votes, and that those votes will be guaranteed through the promise of work, i.e. new construction. I agree with many others that there is nothing environmentally sound about any of it, and whether I know the code number, or the law that this farce is measured by is moot;  these so-called green laws  will continue to benefit the class that is in power, and the demographic that benefits from this are members of that specific class. In the event that these self-serving laws, protocols, and now EIGHT guiding principles, actually does result in the vertical slums they promise to promote, it won’t be for any socially progressive purpose- it will be to keep the poor locked up in Eastern Block styled housing units so that they are easier to manipulate and control.

You know, funny thing about pack and stack living? It doesn’t promise the elimination of cars. Crawford said this to me, and I have to concur.  He said the first thing folks will do with the money they save is to buy a car. (“Probably to get the hell out of here,” says I.) Every couple of years I go to Rome, and I have noticed a few things about it. I noticed that you can have old ruins, and that they still serve a purpose and look cool. Same with bombed out buildings in Berlin, and in Croatia. I noticed that there is an excellent underground train system in Rome, and buses that will take you anywhere you may need to go. I noticed that Roman cabbies pull off maneuvers that make New York City cabbies look timid. All of these transportation modes run alongside a large number of Romans living in a tight and bustling space. There are tons people, buildings, crazy Italian roads, and, yes, lots of cars- but the difference is that scores of those cars are just really, really small. They are tiny little bitty things like the clowns drive at the circus. Clown cars, if you will. they have solved the parking problem by packing them up on the sidewalks. So much for cutting down on cars (click here).

Funny thing, some of the Eastern bloc cars from before the wall are still running. I have seen critters destined for the ALF move faster, but they are still moving nonetheless. Pretty much consisting of an engine in pressed cotton and paper fiber, the Trabant (click here), is a greenster’s wet dream. You can’t get more biodegradable. You know what else? People on the other side of the wall still wanted cars, even if they were hustled around by rail with the rest of the masses. Their desire did not subside because they were packed and stacked along the U-Bahn. In fact, they wanted to dig their own ride so much they’d wait forever to get their own car, even risking the possibility that the damn thing would eventually melt.

Chew on that for a while, comrade.

As for the PEF and IIPK, it didn’t take Mary and I long to find the names of most of the Sierra Madre Elite on their donors list and involved in the formation of that 8th Guiding principle. Until the figureheads in those edu-clans make a statement to me distancing themselves from the activities that were pulled on my autistic child, then I consider them one and the same- elitist. I hold the regional PTA in that same regard.

*************

5. If you can’t make yer Case Based on Three Principles, What Good are Eight?
So. In the elapsed time since Wayne left the building, an eighth guiding principle has arrived (click here) and it came through a quasi-grassroots non-profit group called Invest in Pasadena Kids (IiPK). Petey loves them (click here) and the IiKP parade were en masse at the Pasadena City Council Meeting I attended last month, pushing and pleading to the Pasadena Royal Court for consideration of that Eighth Guiding Principle:

"Pasadena is committed to community planning that supports vibrant educational resources responsive to the broad needs of our diverse community. Quality public schools are a shared community responsibility."

Wait, what? That is it? Are you kidding me? All those meetings and drafts, and city manager scribe support- and that is the best you could muster up? Holy Mother of Mercy, no wonder drivel slides past the voters and becomes law.

Invest in Pasadena Kids planned to be at the Monday, December 3, 2012, Pasadena City Council meeting promoting more of the same hokum (click here), that is, a mission statement that doesn’t really have substance. Apparently the council need more time to mull about on it, or maybe, just maybe,  someone figured out it doesn’t say a goddamn thing. I will say something else on principle #8: if it has the support of Petey, as does the IIPK (click here), then I am, by default, on alert, and immediately suspicious. That they are involved in the inevitable sustainability planning (click here) only adds to those suspicions. You’ll note, all the usual interests are involved.

This is the one that stitches together the goals of the Greenies, the Meanies, and the Weenies. I’ll leave it to you to assign the stakeholders, but we have been tinkering with it for a few weeks and feel that we are a hint closer to a general understanding that at least slakes our thirst for understanding, as simplistic as it may seem (click here).  If you gaze upon that fine piece of fluff that ran in the Pasadena Meekly, you will find not only a fine portrait of Petey taken by photo boy Ed Honowitz (click here) but you also get the connector that brings the Sub Rosa piece, specifically Pasadena Education Foundation (PEF) together with Invest in Pasadena Kids. One of the connectors is that spokespeople for both groups had criticized the PUSD Board of Education for interfering with efforts to develop partnerships or access grants (click here). At that same meeting in 2011, our pal Mr. Ed stated (click here)

“I think this (Resolution) is significant and symbolic ... But the challenge for us now is for us to really start looking at and adding specific into what we are going to do to build the kind of programs and interactions. One of the things I want to ask Superintendent Gundry and the city manager over the next 30 days, is to start to lay out how this partnership will move forward.”... (He added that the community wants to see PUSD and the city manager to)  “Move the pieces forward and see actual implementation.”

Of course, that little nudge came crashing down when Mr. Ed tried to squeeze the Bigley Brothers through as a possible building company, and suggested an unknown and unnamed community-education group through the discussion on his usual verbiage of “uh, duh, um.”  It was due to the interference run by a few pesky gnats who caught Big Daddy Ed “PEF “ Honowitz trying to sneak it by unnoticed that shut it down cold, at least for now. Nice try bonehead. Give me the “uh, duh, um” signature page.

I have come to the, gasp, startling conclusion that our focus needs to be in line or parallel to/with preservationist groups. They may be the last hope for stopping the madness, or at least in curbing it. (click here) I don’t support anything wholeheartedly, but in the preservationists I believe stands the key to stopping ridiculous projects from moving forward at the expense of what makes our cities unique. I have given up hope that the taxpayers won’t continue to pay for the folly, but maybe it’s time that we are given stock in our investments since we can’t seem to tell the bastards to knock it off (click here). Of course, that will require selling our souls.

*************

6. Old Wine, New Wine ...  Just Break the Bottle.
I have also come to the conclusion that what the PUSD needs are more maverick Board of Education members - the kind that don’t scare, and that don’t care. That whole messy Baggett thing would have been cake had that outlaw approach been taken. The “Yeah, so what?” approach. The time has come for people to step up and take every lie, every smear, and and every dig- and turn it around. “Is that the best you can do? Fine, that’s me. Now what are you going to say?” Sometimes you just gotta hold up your hand and say, “Pick a finger, chump.”

As we move closer to those March elections it becomes painfully clear that to counter the absolute nothing we can expect from “the press” that we need to hear some familiar voices that still echo in our canyons to be thrown back into the mix. Voices of reason, and voices of grit.

Come back, Wayne Lusvardi, the new school needs your wisdom.

http://sierramadretattler.blogspot.com

105 comments:

  1. Aida Morales, a social justice champion, and member of the Affordable Housing Action Committee in Pasadena has just pulled nomination papers for Chris Holden's seat in District 3. You should take a look at the millions in CDBG funds that are funneled to various groups in Pasadena.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having pretty much bolloxed up its education mission, the PUSD is now going into the low income housing business.

      Delete
  2. Rene Amy was another vocal local who did a lot of digging through public records.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John,

    We come to this blog for what you have to say. Your intelligence, style, and research are what makes this blog important. You have found a way to speak honestly without ranting.

    Sincerely,

    Long-time Faithful Readers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I am also working to bring in some new voices that I believe are important and have a lot to say about hiw government runs in our little portion of this big world. Tony is one of those voices, and I am very proud to have him write for The Tattler. There will be more added as well. We're growing. There are more people coming to this site now than I ever dreamed possible. It is going to take a team to manage it all.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Moderator. I trust your judgement regarding those you choose to add to the voice of the Tattler.

      Delete
    3. 8:41, I wouldn't say that Brandenberg is ranting. I'd like to suggest he's quite eloquent. I have a feeling that you are representing yourself, and not all the "long time faithful readers"- myself being one of them.

      Delete
    4. Who says Brandenburg is ranting?

      Delete
    5. I have found that ranting is a wonderful way of not just speaking my mind, but also dealing with the negative energies associated with frustration and a sense that the world is spinning out of control and there isn't a damn thing anyone can do about it.

      Thank you.

      Delete
    6. We need to set up a soapbox in Kersting Court. Soon as they move Santa out.

      Delete
    7. and when they move out the cows, sheep, chickens, and that baby kid. What is that all about? I thought we had a chicken ordinance.

      Delete
    8. What fun the SMPD would have trying to clear that soapbox out!

      Delete
    9. I believe that the City manager would need to approve all topics before anyone speaks from the soapbox. Plus you'd need to get a TUP that is limited to 3 minutes.

      Delete
    10. 10:14, are you suggesting a separation of chicken and state?

      Delete
    11. Maybe A megaphone to go with the soapbox?

      Delete
    12. Marshall Stacks. Why mess around?

      Delete
    13. Marshall stacks in Kerstig court, now that would be something to see.

      Delete
    14. ranter? if you please, i would appreciate it if you would refer to me as a haranguer, or a tubthumper. thank you.

      i humbly thank you for the opportunity to share john, and i am with the others. i have been reading your brilliant commentary and enjoying that special wit for some time.

      Delete
  4. Thanks Tony, interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm being dragged into a wider sphere than the 3 blocks of Downtown! I feel like I'm trying to understand an immensely important brilliant man in tiny little bits. He's becoming a very good friend and by extension his family is mine. And I've never met the him...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just re-read my published 8:48 am comment. I want to amend that to TWO immensely important and brilliant men! Certainly John Crawford has opened my mind with his deeply insightful recording of the events of the last few years. I've not had the opportunity to meet Tony and the Brandenburgs; maybe it's not necessary in order to understand what drives them. Just grateful to have made their acquaintances.

      Delete
    2. @8:52- isn't it nice to be able to know that when you step into Tattler realm, it's ok to question, to disagree, to even be militant in your beliefs without fear of bring blasted by the glitter police?

      Delete
    3. A leading member of the Glitter SS yelled at me from her truck in the parking lot of Albertsons over the weekend. It was hilarious.

      Delete
    4. Maybe she was experiencing gas pains from having consumed too much unicorn meat. It is a very rich dish.

      Delete
    5. thank you for the kindness

      Delete
  6. Just received from a good friend of the San Gabriels and a tireless environmentalist. Let's help support our Mother Mountains:

    Dear Friend,

    Wow! Folks like you have sent nearly 3,000 messages to Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar showing your support for a San Gabriel Region National Recreation Area (NRA). The San Gabriel Mountains provide outdoor recreation opportunities and a source of clean drinking water for millions of people in the Los Angeles area.

    It's crucial that we get Secretary Salazar's attention and urge him to send his recommendation for a NRA to Congress. Can you help us reach our goal of 6,000 comments to ensure that a San Gabriel Region National Recreation Area becomes a reality?

    You can help by forwarding this email to 5 friends. You can also spread the word on your social networks with the handy links below.

    Share this alert on Facebook

    Share this alert on Twitter

    Thanks for all you do for CA's wild places,

    Juana Torres
    Sierra Club - San Gabriel Mountains Forever Campaign

    http://action.sierraclub.org/site/MessageViewer?em_id=266045.0&dlv_id=225610

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely not 9am! In a recreation area/nat'l park the feds/state have more control than when the area is designated forest. If it goes to rec. area etc, they will put up gates and kiosks and charge outrageous admission and limit what you can do there and when. They can even take away the mount wilson trail race because it is not enviromentally friendly and people could get hurt. Just say NO to more government intrusion!!!!!!!

      Delete
    2. True, 10:40. NPS really doesn't want people to "ruin" the parks so they've adopted policies to discourage use. A good example is the $20+ if you want to go to Joshua Tree for the day...

      Delete
  7. In the beginning... reading tb on the Patch... was totally not interested: no kids in PUSD or SME... thought of him as a disgruntled parent faced with a deteriorating situation... have completely done a 180... I've begun to read about autism, Asperger's, watch new segments about advances, AND taken an interest in PUSD/SME. Still can't bring myself to seek out and listen to the Adolescents, but am intrigued by Tony's poetic prose and style.

    I'm beginning to look forward to tb thursdays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way to go 9:10!As you watch the Bees.... you will see the integrity and backbone the have... you will also find that there story increasingly becomes more saddening. What the school board did is just unfathomable.

      T. Baloney

      Delete
    2. What happened on the Patch was a continuation of what started at the school against their kid. The glitterati decided to aim at the parents, that's all. I'm glad they brought it over to this forum, there actually are readers here.

      Delete
    3. Thank you, this is a nice place. thanks for the opportunity to explore and learn.

      Delete
  8. What is happening in the district is nothing new.

    I have been involved with PUSD since 1957 when I started kindergarten. I taught in the district during the early bussing years and saw how it ruined the district. As white flight continued I witnessed the high powers pulling more and more crap. I quit in the late 1970's. I tried with others to get Sierra Madre out of the district but we failed. A poor education and safety were not criteria for leaving the district. Knowing what a hell the schools were like, I bit the bullet send my kids to private schools. I have watched bond money squandered. Today I vote NO on every bond measure and encourage others to do the same.

    If feel sorry for any one who tries to fight this evil. Is there a chance of winning? Sadly, I doubt it. The State should take over the district and start from scratch.

    MY opinion only. Tom has a lot to say, but his articles need to be tightened up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom of Maine, or Finland?

      Delete
    2. Bombadil. Or Thumb.

      Delete
    3. Just who we need! Tom Bombadil! and Goldberry, too!

      Delete
    4. 10:15, what would secession have accomplished? Folks would still be dealing with Doyle and the gang of thieves.

      Delete
    5. guess we should be glad she didn't say steve?

      Delete
    6. Haha, I can be long winded. Mary always tries to edit me too. she just tells me to be quiet!

      Delete
  9. Yes, great grandma, I'm with you. I'm looking forward to Tony's take on things. I'm sure Crawford could use the down time to dig into more things as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you go to the Pasadena Star News site you can vote in a Tim Donnelly for Governor poll. Vote for the guy who would shut down SB 375 and the 710 Tunnel in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim Donnelly versus Jerry brown would be a race for the ages.

      Delete
  11. Thank you for kind comments. Pasadena Sub Rosa revival may be on the horizon as I have to develop my property for apartments or face a $20,000 property tax hike when the legislature removes Prop. 13 for commercial properties. When that project is over I will have time to revive Sub Rosa.

    In the August 25, 2012 issue of the Pasadena Sun I wrote a letter that may be of interest to those in the P-U School District. Here it is:

    School district lacks political legitimacy
    August 25, 2012

    In his Aug. 19 op-ed, “What the numbers really look like,” Pasadena Unified School District board member Scott Phelps says an $8-million cut in state funding cannot be absorbed without “negotiating a shorter school year and associated furloughs with our employees, both of which are highly undesirable.”

    Contrary to Pasadena Unified's claims in 2009, there were no core teacher layoffs, even though voters defeated the proposed Measure CC School Parcel Tax.

    The state has reduced school funding statewide by billions of dollars by borrowing school funds for the deficit in the state's general operating fund. What the proposed tax-increase propositions on the November ballot are largely about is paying those loans back. But Pasadena Unified and other school districts have survived those cuts, and there is no reason to believe they can't continue to do so.

    Any cuts would mainly fall on ancillary staff and building-maintenance costs. Maintenance costs were vastly reduced due to Pasadena Unified spending about $1 billion in facility upgrades in the last 10 years.

    Given the lack of credibility of Pasadena Unified, I would suggest to Phelps that he submit his case for more local school funding to a panel selected by the local Republican Club for review.

    Moreover, I would suggest Pasadena Unified become a “Basic Aid School District” and go without state school funding. This would put home-voters on the Pasadena Unified board who could provide some political legitimacy for the need for local school funding. It's wonderful that school districts are more representative of the various ethnic groups in the community. But this has led to a lack of “consent of the governed” and the taxed when it comes to requests for local school funding.

    What Pasadena Unified lacks is not funding but political legitimacy.

    Wayne Lusvardi

    Pasadena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hear hear! The phoenix will rise!

      Delete
    2. http://articles.pasadenasun.com/2012-09-25/opinion/34086138_1_charter-school-small-schools-board

      Phelps has a lot of great things to say.....when he isn't being bashed by the board majority and their cronies. Hopefully people are listening.

      Delete
    3. PUSD is run by thieves, lawyers, and spineless chumps.

      Delete
    4. ... and halfmad helicopter moms.

      Delete
    5. The SM prom queens are fully bonkers.

      Delete
    6. I have watched Scott Phelps question more useless expenditures and challenge the wasteful spending more times than I have heard Ed Honowitz say "Uh, duh, um" and I would put that in the tens toward hundred. There is only so many times a person can say, "Porquoi?" The damn thing is broken.

      Delete
  12. 1. Power is not only what you have but what the enemy thinks you have.
    2. Never go outside the experience of your people.
    3. Whenever possible, go outside of the experience of the enemy.
    4. Make the enemy live up to their own book of rules.
    5. Ridicule is man's most potent weapon.
    6. A good tactic is one that your people enjoy.
    7. A tactic that drags on too long becomes a drag.
    8. Keep the pressure on with different tactics and actions, and utilize all events of the period for your purpose.
    9. The threat is usually more terrifying than the thing itself.
    10. The major premise for tactics is the development of operations that will maintain a constant pressure upon the opposition.
    11. If you push a negative hard and deep enough, it will break through into its counterside.
    12. The price of a successful attack is a constructive alternative.
    13. Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Form the resistance! Seniors unite!

      Delete
    2. STICK IT TO THE (young) MAN!

      Delete
  13. Dear Mr. Brandenburg:
    What a good column this is. Somehow I just knew you would "get it."
    Best to you,
    Anonymous 2:17 Tattler

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous 2:17, you've been an inspiration as well!

      Delete
    2. What a lovely thing to say. Thank you.

      Delete
    3. thank you so much for sharing with us, Agent 217. :) what an amazing writer.

      Delete
    4. Yes, he is a great writer and an original thinker.
      ("Agent 217"...hmm. I like that! ha)

      Delete
  14. I have to admit, I'd rather hear from the lunatic fringe than from the sanctimonious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In agreement from an anonymous fringe dweller.

      Delete
    2. Most sanctimonious people are just afraid.

      Delete
    3. You said it, 2:11!
      Couldn't agree more

      Delete
  15. Tim Donnelly is like five day old fish, nothing you can do about it since it's rotten and you have to throw it out.

    Voting for this guy would be, letting the lunatics run the mental ward, you thought it was bad in Sierra Madre now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, at least you know it is a mental ward. There is that hope.

      Delete
    2. Last I heard, Hope wasn't hiring. I go with Tim.

      Delete
  16. Just drove by the Ramona St. Side of the British Home and noticed that there about six or so eucalyptus trees tagged for destruction. Is this in preparation for their pending plea to the planning commission?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The City is committing eucalasia.

      Delete
  17. Tim Donnelly is very dishonest and much like the Meg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I beg to differ, sir. Assemblyman Donnelly is completely honest. You just lack the veracity to admit that you don't like what he has to say.

      Delete
  18. Thanks JC, TB & MB I value the reach you are doing. My battle with PUSD regarding prop 30 and extra credit points is currently being pushed under their rug with a huge pile of other things. My complaint does not "fall with the Uniform Complaint protocols" and has been handled by site administration... Now since this incident, my 8 year old has been pointed out by the teacher as the child whos parent complained so thus no election was held in class. The teacher rolls her eyes when her hand is raised to ask a question, and now my child cries every morning before school because of the bullying by her teacher. I have made this known to site admin.... Still waiting for an update... They hope I will go away.... Did some googling...they have people on the parent terrorist association blogging about other parents and the bumper stickers on their cars that the see when picking up their children.... What happened to teaching? Ugh... TB & MB keep up the fight! I need a list of the glitter SS .....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Parent Terrorist Association!" They actually do that on a website?

      Delete
    2. bbqgoddess, are you saying the PTA parents are blogging and targeting parents/students? So nothing ever changes?

      Delete
    3. The glitter SS used to be high ranking site PTA parents, they've become more covert these days- at least that's the impression. The site administrator is weak and caters to the elite. You'll get nowhere going that route. You can file a grievance against the teacher, and that should be a UCP complaint....

      Delete
    4. if there are people posting things and you can access it, copy ot and save it into a file or screen shot it all. most of these folks are pretty stupid and shallow and don't believe they'llbe caught. as for ucp, I have found this route to be horrendously either inept or corrupt. I can't tell which it is. if your child is being bullied by a staff member, and you have approached ucp, I would file it with ocr as retaliation and bullying, your childs rights are being violated. I have brought these issues up with the board as such. our kids shouldn't be punished because people are unhappy with us, the parents, for exercising our first amendment rights.

      Delete
    5. @5:34 yes, thats exactly what Im saying! Its absurd to say the least. It is very scary everyday because I never know who is saying/doing whatever to my child.

      Delete
    6. TB, Im blonde but was a gate student back in the day..in PUSD... What am I missing about this UCP? I filled out the proper form, well the form they sent to me to fill out, what about that is not with "protocal"? Mr Miller sent a letter full of blah, blah blah.. And dismissed me..

      Delete
    7. Again forgive my blondeness, what is ocr? Thx

      Delete
    8. You can submit an appeal to the denial, address it to the Board of education and pull Miller's report apart, point by point.
      I'm still waiting to hear the number of times a uniform complaint is filed, and Miller finds the district NOT in compliance. I've requested to file a complaint on Miller, and haven't heard back- I suppose he'd be heading that "investigation" as well.

      Delete
    9. OCR is Office of Civil Rights. They handle cases of discrimination and denial of access, bullying, etc.

      Here's a link to file a complaint.

      http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/docs/howto.html

      Keep in mind that Miller and the PUSD pack of lawyers will be providing their own twist on things to OCR. I can tell you that the documents they sent to OCR without ever disclosing them to us were quite unbelieveable. Just the other day I received yet another unauthorized document that should have been destroyed, instead sent to OCR.

      Delete
    10. The office of civil rights. Mary's suggestion could also be done, bit I am not sure that the appeal will solve it. you need to collect as much written docs and posts as possible, anything that can support your statements, and the flyer. the parents will try to deflect it from the teacher which is fine, especially if they are in err. its the part where a teacher is taking sides that is a concern in this situation. you simply pointed out that this was not acceptable because schools are not allowed to campaign.

      there must be another agency who handle those kinds of complaints (I see two separate issues here, hence two different agencies should be contacted. I just don't know who handles inappropriate campaign issues.)

      Delete
    11. Oh, and Bbqgoddess, request a hearing before the board of education for a reconsideration of the denial.

      Here's a link to the revised Board policies re: UCP complaints, in case you need to refer to them. It's actually pretty easy, they just make it difficult with denials and stalling, and then blaming it all on you.

      https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:28Fxp6suFfEJ:pusd.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php?view_id%3D12%26clip_id%3D311%26meta_id%3D50899+pasadena+unified+board+policies+uniform+complaint&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESjJTFN4fXVXy9gn0Y7LJzG9dqRfvrud95doQxae2VxU2hPjAwUUbcxjgL3Svj-zMbmCY6BYSGaeMw-1HHbJ7Wvjrf8DAWGXDedFnxi-XDxFWBQLcM9oNzNvhnqQdS-e2QdbEn2U&sig=AHIEtbQDBuyb3WZiuAvq5ABoVxG-UTE41w

      Delete
    12. Bbq goddess, could you please explain how to find the blogs where PTA members are targeting people? That's pretty bad, and that they're doing it openly on the internet is scandalous.

      Delete
    13. The UCP handler is saying you need to go someplace else. It is the flim-flam runaround. they do this to wear you out, make you doubt yourself, and feel insecure with your choices and decisions. they will do this until the complaint can't be handled at all because it passed a deadline. if you file an appeal too late, " oh, oops. sorry" they say. What I see going on is so familiar. see, the problem is that they handle ucp in house. they are more likely to find in their own favor because its in their best interest. most people take the decision as stated and say, "oh well. they must be right, they are the authority." The problem is that they believe they are, too, and forget that these rules are developed to protect people from exactly this kind of corruption.

      Delete
    14. Mary, lol. of course he'll investigate a complaint made against him on his own. or maybe Mr. ed will handle it. ha. haha.

      Delete
    15. @6:43 I did some searching on the internet of the people in the SME PTA and just read their blogs. Here is an small excerpt, I just do not think a member of the Parent Terrorist Association should be engaging in this kind of stuff in a public arena. Certainly her point could have been made without referencing another parent at the school, who most likely has zero idea this person is talking about them on their blog.

      I realize that I’m not completely innocent in the politics game. I groan when I see Romney signs in front of houses in our neighborhood, and a certain car at our elementary school which has no less than 5 Romney magnets and stickets plus several stickers slamming the president, like this gem:

      (this was a bumper sicker of some sort)

      which I find HORRIBLY offensive. I can only assume that her three children are being influenced by her politics as mine are by my own.

      Delete
    16. To the B's,
      Endless thank you's! I have been referred to a Dr Onoye, Executive Director of Elementary for an appeal.
      I will be using all the links you have sent, and I am indebted to you both, thank you again.

      Delete
    17. Hi bbqgoddess, you're welcome of course!
      I'm not sure who referred you to Onoye, who I've found to be a waste of time...Because Miller has already denied you, according to what I've read in the Board policy, you are supposed to appeal directly to the Board of Education. I have a feeling you're getting the proverbial run around. My understanding is that it's not often that people appeal directly to the board for a hearing, but it is still in the policy.

      Delete
    18. be clear on your concerns- if they are separate, especially- the politickin' is one, the retaliation is another. be aware that #2 is one they will try to skirt away from because #1 will be blamed on parent volunteers, and they will say they can't control that. If it goes any other way i will be truly surprised. best to you and your family. we know how hard it can be. please feel free to contact us, if even to vent. jc can pass on our email if you'd like to reach us

      Delete
    19. Legal Reference:
      EDUCATION CODE
      7050-7057 Political activities of school officers and employees
      38130-38139 Civic Center Act
      51520 Prohibited solicitations on school premises
      GOVERNMENT CODE
      3543.1 Rights of employee organizations
      COURT DECISIONS
      Downs v. Los Angeles Unified School District (9th Cir. 2000) 228 F. 3d 1003
      California Teachers Association v. Governing Board of San Diego Unified School District, (1996)
      45 Cal. App. 4th 1383
      L. A. Teachers Union v. L.A. City Board of Education (1969) 71 Cal. 2d 551
      ATTORNEY GENERAL OPINIONS
      84 Ops. Atty. Gen. 106 (2001)
      84 Ops. Atty. Gen. 52 (2001)
      77 Ops. Atty. Gen. 56 (1994)
      PERB RULINGS
      California Federation of Teachers, Local 1931 v. San Diego Community College District (2001)
      PERB Order #1467 (26 PERC 33014)
      Management Resources:
      CSBA PUBLICATIONS
      Political Activities of School Districts: Legal Issues, 1998, revised 2001
      WEB SITES
      CSBA: http://csba.org
      Office of the Attorney General, Dept. of Justice: http://caag.state.ca.us/
      Public Employment Relations Board: http://www.perb.ca.gov

      Delete
    20. there are the codes and the contact to file a complaint at state level on the politickin'. The OCR office in SF, CA is where you would file a complaint on the retaliation and bullying

      Delete
  19. I must have over looked the mention of Tim Donnelly in the above informational piece, and I am sorry that he no longer represents this side of the tracks. I fully support Mr. Donnelly and wish him well; as he fights the good fight in the state capital.

    ReplyDelete
  20. lets get the facts straight here on the ground floor, Tim Donnelly can't keep track of a loaded 45 cal. semi-auto pistol and extra clips loaded with ammo.

    And you want me to believe he as insight to do what for the state of California?

    He doesn't get off the first floor with that stunt and his elevator doesn't go to the top floor anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you explain how he would do worse than the people running CA now?

      Delete
    2. Revisionist History Alert!!!

      6:02 - Donnelly had a Colt 45 which is a revolver, not a semi-auto, and doesn't take clips. Although I figure next time you tell the story, it will be a fully automatic "assault rifle."

      Delete
    3. Colt makes a 45 auto and a semi Auto... just saying...

      Delete
  21. What does the city of Sierra Madre have in common with the feds...

    1.The city of Sierra Madre & the federal government is over the cliff & bankrupt.

    2. The city and feds have bad actors managing the taxpayers monies...

    3. Bruce Inman...
    6 months ago Bruce stated that the residents had 12 months of well water left...

    now its 6 months latter...
    What in the hell has the city employees done to assure the residents that we will have water to drink?

    Maybe its time to fire those employees and hire rain dancers or drill a new well?



    ReplyDelete
  22. 6:02 - Is that all you have to throw against the wall on Donnelly? Where is your outrage with the Demo party and their out of control spending and entitlement programs? How about Roger Hernandez, the drunk woman beater? Really, get your head out of your A#% . I know it's hard for people with their hand out to government for everything to recognize constitutional principles, fiscal accountability and love of country, but try, won't you?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Donnelly's carry-on bag housed a .45-caliber Colt Mark IV that had four rounds in its magazine and a spare magazine with five additional rounds, Melendez said. Lawmakers were returning to the Capitol today for the 2012 legislative year.

    "When he was packing to leave, he had forgotten that it was in there," said Cassandra Joiner, Donnelly's spokeswoman. "He didn't realize it when he put it through the metal detector."


    Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalertlatest/2012/01/assemblyman-tim-donnelly-was-cited.html#storylink=cpy

    ReplyDelete
  24. To those Gum-Runners out there, exxtperts.

    Colt 45, 1911 body style (newer version) was the one Tim Donnelly tried to slip past the commerical airport Terrorist Scanners.

    There was one fully loaded clip of live 45 cal. ammo in this clip in the pistol, two extra clips with live 45 cal. ammo which were also full in the same brief case.

    Lets be real here, the combined weight and off balanced brief case should have beena tip off to Tim Donnelly that he had more than papers (if any) in the brief case.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yes Tim Donnelly's carry-on bag housed a .45-caliber Colt Mark IV . Yes it takes ammo clips and yes it is a semi-auto, meaning with each pull of the trigger a round is discharged and new live round is chambered and ready for the shooter to pull the trigger for another discharge of a bullet.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wayne got the Thorny Rose award few years back, but refused to acknowledge it. Tony is an excellent candidate for it this year, and I predict would cherish every attention centered minute of it.

    ReplyDelete