However, the footage found on the Neuroblast site is pretty hard to refute. Here is a video of the public comment that blew poor Joe's mind, followed by his meltdown.
This was, of course, hardly a unique occurrence. Joe's struggle with his anger issues was not an uncommon sight at Sierra Madre City Council meetings. What follows below is a videotape of Joe's reaction to losing his COG and SCAG assignments, done because he rarely bothered to show up at any of their meetings.
I hope you will take the time to read this about Joe Mosca as I know he is being considered for service on your council. I lived in Sierra Madre before and during the six years that Joe Mosca served as our city council member and Mayor. It was quite an active time as we were tackling key issues of development, water, financial constraints, and public safety. Joe came into Sierra Madre a relative unknown but I know I speak for the silent majority when I say, we couldn’t be more proud and lucky to have had Joe serve. There will always be detractors as you can’t please everyone, but Joe served our city with intelligence, calm, and needed leadership. During his time on city council, he balanced our budgets, opened the FIRST new park/open space in our city over 20 years, had the foresight to get our water system in order prior to the drought, and brought paramedic services to our city. He did it with patience, thoughtfulness, and in the face of some mentally unstable homophobic fanatics. Also, Joe was in the majority for 4 out of 6 years he was on council and NOT ONE PIECE OF OVERDEVELOPMENT was ever put forth or even considered. This line of attack on Joe is completely false. Is Joe perfect? No. Does he talk too much? Maybe. But in Joe, you have someone who is thoughtful, intelligent, and knows how to get things done.
(I would just like to remind the people of Encinitas that you now have a few crazy people from Sierra Madre infiltrating your blogs with complete nonsense: the Sierra Madre blog is run by John Crawford, a man who was caught going through Joe’s garbage, and even ran against Joe for city council but came in LAST PLACE because of the hatred and vitriol that he spews and is trying to bring to you.)
But at the end of the day, it’s not about blogs or the few lunatics in Sierra Madre. This is about your seemingly beautiful city and the choices you have before you. If I’m being honest, we are envious that you have Joe. I would encourage you to at least listen to him and talk to him. He won both of his Sierra Madre elections in landslides, not because he conned anyone or pulled the wool over or any other such nonsense. Rather, he won because he walked door to door of the ENTIRE city and listened and governed for the people. He won because he is a good man, with a good family, a good heart and a good mind. I wish Encinitas and the city council a great 2017 and best of luck.
"If I'm being honest," indeed. So many Pinocchio-isms it is hard to know where to start. Let's take a few of them, one at a time.
1) I am not sure anyone can claim to have won "a landslide" in elections where only around a third of the registered residents even bothered to go to the polls.
2) Nobody is taking much credit for Goldberg Park these days, a place where hardly anyone ever goes. Besides dogs seeking relief, that is. An incestuous insider boondoggle if there ever was one, and perhaps the worst use of half a million dollars in precious taxpayer money ever.
3) The Paramedics issue was on the ballot in 2005 in the form of Measure F (link), Joe was first elected in 2006. He is taking credit here for something that was in the works long before he took office. It was improperly funded from the start, and later contributed to three ballot attempts to raise utility taxes. The first two failed.
4) The big downtown development project Joe supported never happened because residents put Measure V on the ballot and stopped it cold. The Downtown Specific Plan didn't get built because Joe Mosca and his pals were beaten at the polls. Not because he was opposed to it.
5) That bit about the garbage is just a complete and utter lie. It first emerged in the Mountain Views News in a Susan Henderson column during my long shot effort to get elected to the City Council in 2010. Typical of the tactics employed in a Joe Mosca campaign. She claimed this had been reported to the police, but when questioned by a lawyer about it the SMPD said they'd never heard any such thing. The only reason I never sued is because Susan doesn't have a pot to piss in.
But that's our Joe. Still pitching his crazy fits, still waving the same old dirty laundry. I wonder what the people of Encinitas make of it.
It must seem very strange.