Somebody please help me get to the logic of our situation.
1) Realtors & Developers want more development in the downtown, on Montecito, and in the hillsides;
2) Faithful to the C.A.R. handbook strategies, they infiltrate the city government and put a spotlight on themselves being involved in the community - hyper "meet and greets;"
3) Their strategies work to the point that a city council does not defend the Hillside Management Zone, but rather approves excessive development in the hillsides with conditions that cannot be controlled or enforced;
4) The city spends more than a quarter million dollars on a ruinous development plan for the downtown, with some of its proponents fighting desperately to hide the Environmental Impact Report;
5) The residents wake up and ask, "Who has been selling the city out from under us?"
Because of the honest people who stepped forward (Zimmerman, Watts, MacGillivray, Shollenberger, the Dunns, Old Kentucky, and many more), our town has weathered a rapid development plague that has caused terrible damage.
And we are criticized for our responses, our opinions, our reactions to this highly charged political situation? The slow-growth people are NOT the ones who resort to pornography to make personal attacks, we are not the ones who want to remake the town in the image of a mini Beverly Hills, we are not the ones who don't care what happens to the hillsides, and we are not the ones who sneak around damaging tires, breaking car windows, and ruining mailboxes.
Yes, sometimes people make 'snarkier' comments than I would like to see, and yes, there are personal attacks, but give is a break - we've been under siege for a long time. And the people who are throwing the worst blows deny it, and attack us for responding.